Longleaf Services, Inc.
Position Title: Accounting Associate
Longleaf Services, a not-for-profit affiliate of the University of North Carolina Press, provides order processing, customer service, collection management, warehousing, fulfillment, and publishing services for university presses. The office of Longleaf Services is located on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, in the thriving Research Triangle region of North Carolina.
Longleaf is currently seeking a hands-on, detail-oriented ACCOUNTING ASSOCIATE with good organizational and the problem solving skills necessary to provide a variety of accounting and financial functions to support the activities of the business. The position will provide financial support to the Director of Finance and Administration including sales tax, royalty processing for client publishers, reporting and other publishing service activities. The primary responsibilities are:
- Royalties processing including all processing for other clients
- Filing tickets for publishing software issues
- Report writing through Informer
- Complete sales tax filings – monthly, quarterly and annually
- Responsible for quarterly sales tax rate and region updates
- Maintain sales tax rules in the software
- Conduct quarterly review of sales in each of the states to insure compliance with various states’ sales tax filing thresholds.
- Administer the conversion royalty data as part of the onboarding process for new client presses.
- Field and provide solutions for financial and royalty questions from our client presses.
- Responsible for the annual filings of 1099’s and 1042’s for any foreign entities
- Balance general ledger accounts on a monthly basis
- Participate in the annual audit for both companies
- Bank reconciliations for all bank accounts
- EOM postings and problem solving for all of the reports that go out to the client presses
- Monthly GL import from Paycor system into the Press’s general ledger
- Provide support to client publishers for annual inventory cost write-down
- A. in Accounting or related field
- 3 years of relevant accounting/finance experience
- Understanding of GAAP
- Experience using accounting software programs
- Experience with report writing software
- Familiarity with sales tax filings
- Must have thorough understanding and experience in balancing a bank statement
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Knowledge of publishing preferred, but not required.
Provide a cover letter, resume, salary requirement and contact information for three professional references to Adele Sommerville, Director of Human Resources, UNC Press, 116 S Boundary St., Chapel Hill, NC 27514. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Only finalists will be contacted.
About UNC Press:
UNC Press is a nonprofit publisher of both scholarly and general interest books and journals, affiliated with the University of North Carolina System. From its early days, the Press adopted the principle that its books should not merely observe but seek to understand, explain, and thereby improve our world. In keeping with that principle, UNC Press became the first scholarly publisher to develop an ongoing program of books by and about African Americans, beginning in the late 1920s, and was at the vanguard of the interdisciplinary field of gender and women’s studies in the 1970s. In addition to works on global history, religion, politics, and culture, the Press pioneered one of the earliest and strongest regional publishing programs in the country, publishing books on the people, culture, and environment of the South, cultivating a vital legacy for the future. The Press is also a leading publisher of works of Indigenous studies and histories of the carceral state, among other subjects that engage with pressing issues of social concern. To learn more about the Press, visit www.uncpress.org/about.
UNC Press values diversity, equity, and inclusion in word and deed. The work we publish reflects a commitment to engaging diverse voices and experiences and bringing them to the widest possible audience. Similarly, we value a workplace that welcomes different perspectives to enhance the quality of our decision making as we carry out our work. We are strategically engaged in creating and enhancing policies and practices that will build upon our past efforts to attract, retain, and develop a staff that is diverse along many dimensions.
LONGLEAF SERVICES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V