Longleaf Services, Inc. / UNC Press
Position Title: Accounts Payable / Accounting Assistant
Longleaf Services, Inc. / UNC Press is looking to hire an Accounts Payable / Accounting Assistant professional to assist and support the financial team with the coordination and processing of all accounts payable transactions for the Company as well as the ongoing maintenance of accounts payable files and the accurate completion of financial and business reporting efforts for the Press and its subsidiary Longleaf Services. Review and complete all daily transactions, invoicing, reconciliations, customer and vendor communications, process and properly code invoices, vouchers, expense reports, check requests, issue payments, prepares batch check runs, wire transfers, and ACH transactions, etc., in a timely manner that conforms to standard procedures and ensures accurate entry into the financial system. Assist in the implementation of company initiatives and best practices that support the achievement of company goals and objectives promoting a financially sound and compliant organization.
Maintains all vendor accounts payable files for UNC Press and Longleaf Services to include:
- All invoices for materials or services organized by vendor.
- All payment records for invoices and all statements and correspondence received.
- All scanned A/P checks including confidential recycling as needed.
Processes all accounts payable transactions for material or services received by the Company to include:
- Coding and proper entry of Accounts Payable, vendor invoices for UNCP and Longleaf into the accounting system. Update several databases with address corrections as needed.
- Daily entry of any cash disbursements and W9’s.
- Process UNC Press basic deposits to include checks, credit card payments, wires, and ACH transactions.
- Working with necessary staff members to finalize and correct Accounts Payable discrepancies.
- Backup, review and discuss aging of invoicing, ensuring accounts are paid in a timely manner, and any issues that may affect payment are resolved.
- Posting all Accounts Payable amounts and cash receipts to the general ledger daily.
- Maintain deposit and batch files for UNCP and Longleaf.
- Monitor positive pay with BB&T and check for any exceptions.
- Send banking information to BB&T for positive pay and ACH payments.
- Process payments for UNCP and Longleaf via a third-party payment processor.
- Matching paid items with check copies.
Perform general filing and oversee the scanning and administration of all Accounts Payable information and invoices into the electronic files.
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not; however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental or similar duties which may be required from day to day. This position reports to the Director of Finance and Administration and will work directly with other administrative personnel and management. Strong MS Excel experience is necessary as well as report writing experience. Banking experience would be a plus. If you have the qualifications for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
Provide a cover letter, resume, salary requirement and contact information for three professional references to Adele Sommerville, Director of Human Resources, UNC Press, 116 S Boundary St., Chapel Hill, NC 27514. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Only finalists will be contacted.
About Longleaf Services, Inc. / UNC Press:
UNC Press is a nonprofit publisher of both scholarly and general interest books and journals, affiliated with the University of North Carolina System. From its early days, the Press adopted the principle that its books should not merely observe but seek to understand, explain, and thereby improve our world. In keeping with that principle, UNC Press became the first scholarly publisher to develop an ongoing program of books by and about African Americans, beginning in the late 1920s, and was at the vanguard of the interdisciplinary field of gender and women’s studies in the 1970s. In addition to works on global history, religion, politics, and culture, the Press pioneered one of the earliest and strongest regional publishing programs in the country, publishing books on the people, culture, and environment of the South, cultivating a vital legacy for the future. The Press is also a leading publisher of works of Indigenous studies and histories of the carceral state, among other subjects that engage with pressing issues of social concern. To learn more about the Press, visit www.uncpress.org/about.
UNC Press values diversity, equity, and inclusion in word and deed. The work we publish reflects a commitment to engaging diverse voices and experiences and bringing them to the widest possible audience. Similarly, we value a workplace that welcomes different perspectives to enhance the quality of our decision making as we carry out our work. We are strategically engaged in creating and enhancing policies and practices that will build upon our past efforts to attract, retain, and develop a staff that is diverse along many dimensions.
LONGLEAF SERVICES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V